Arsenal Fixtures 2013/2014

  • 17/08/13 Aston Villa (H)
  • 24/08/13 Fulham (A)
  • 01/09/13 Tottenham (H)
  • 14/09/13 Sunderland (A)
  • 22/09/13 Stoke (H)

Friday 2 March 2012

High Five

There was unbridled joy unleashed all around HQ on Sunday. I'll set the scene, Arsenal were coming off a mini-slump a disastrous four nil loss to Milan, a dispiriting two nil defeat to Sunderland in the cup, then we have possibly one of the biggest games of our season looming, and its the derby against our fiercest rivals who are currently-whisper it- above us in the league.
I am on the way to my Grandad's house to watch the match. I arrive five minutes after kick off. We are already one nil down. But Ruth you said there was joy, I hear you say. Bear with me, we're still scene setting. Then Arsenal seem to perk up, there's good movement, there are chances. Then Gareth Bale (even simply typing his name irritates me) runs into the penalty box. The boy Chesney comes forward. But before he can make any contact Gareth Bale has already flung himself to the floor. There are appeals, the assistant ref is called upon but to no avail, the damage is done, the trap is sprung, the lie has been told and the referee has fallenn for it. As if blatant and shameful cheating weren't bad enough, the resulting penalty is scored by Emmanuel Adebayor. Joy seems a long way away at this point. But my boys, my wonderful amazing boys aren't out of it that easy, they still have something to say. Up steps Bacary Sagna. Lovely Bacary. Supercool Bacary. He dispatches a rocket of a header. 2-1. Game on. Arsenal pile on the pressure, there are more chances. Then Robin van Persie gets the ball on the edge of the area. On his left foot. He curls around the ball like poetry in motion and strokes it home. There's cheering all around chez Grandad. We see Harry Redknapp looking miserable, we all laugh, especially grandad. What a game and its only half-time. But the best was yet to come. Tomas Rosicky begins a  run in midfield and slides a pas to Bacary Sagna who sets up a beautiful ball into the box. Tomas ran his little heart out to get there. I don't think I have ever been so pleased to see any one goal, ever. I felt like my heart just swelled with pride for him. As you all know he's my extra special favourite and for months I've been desperate for him to have his moment, I've been willing him to get his goal with everything I've got. And he finally did. It was just a moment of pure, unadulterated joy. No one deserves it more than he does. And to cap it all off Theo redeemed a frankly outrageously bad first half performance to score two goals and put us out of sight. We won big and we won in style. It was a real show of uniity and mental strength and I hope they can use it to kickstart the final part of our season. Congrats boys, you really earned it.

No comments:

Post a Comment