Arsenal Fixtures 2013/2014

  • 17/08/13 Aston Villa (H)
  • 24/08/13 Fulham (A)
  • 01/09/13 Tottenham (H)
  • 14/09/13 Sunderland (A)
  • 22/09/13 Stoke (H)

Tuesday 26 March 2013

Agony and Ecstasy at Worlds

So the huge festival of sequins and drama that is the World Championships has once again swept us all along and left us with nothing more than glitter and make up stains. I had high hopes for the men's competition this year. In some ways I was not disappointed. But what a strange competition it was this year. Some of the contenders we expect to shine suffered uncharacteristic mistakes, while others seized their moment with both hands and astounded us all. I'll start with the main issue here. Patrick Chan. Now I won't deny that his short program was astounding, its a beautiful routine and the balletic  grace he has when he skates it is incredible but his free skate was nothing short of a shambles and the scores he got were absolutely outrageous. It just defies belief that he could still score that highly afetr falling so many times when the judges had savaged other skaters for lesser faults. Also shocking was that Brian Joubert didn't get as high a score as he deserved for a performance of his 'Gladiator' piece that was nothing short of epic. But enough with the negativity. Yuzuru Hanyu's free skate was incredible. To see him pull off such a heartfelt, emotional and beautiful performance after all of his difficulties in the short was just amazing. He really is such a special talent. It was a properly soulful skate and for me was one of the most memorable moments of the competition. Someone else who provided some of the best moments of the competition for me, was the divine Misha Ge. His performance level is second to none and his expression is just wonderful. He always sells his programs to the maximum level and he always looks as if he's having the best time ever on the ice. He's just a  joy and I think he absolutely nailed both routines. Which brings me to Denis Ten. I've said on twitter that I think we should rename him 'Perfect Ten' and its no understatement. His performances at worlds were brilliant, he upped his game so much and I'm so so glad to see him standing on the podium where he belongs. I've been a fan of his for a while and I just adore his program to the soundtrack from 'The Artist.' His silver medal was the first ever figure skating medal for Kazakhstan and it couldn't have been awarded to a nicer,  more deserving guy. I also want to spread the lovve for Takahito Mura's 'Shogun' routine. Its stunning. It  has everything; epic sweep, beautiful flow and gorgeous lines. If you haven't seen I urge you to go and watch it. So I'll end with a little indulgence; if I was doing the scoring my podium at Worlds would have been- 1. Denis Ten  2. Yuzuru Hanyu  3. Brian Joubert

No comments:

Post a Comment