Arsenal Fixtures 2013/2014

  • 17/08/13 Aston Villa (H)
  • 24/08/13 Fulham (A)
  • 01/09/13 Tottenham (H)
  • 14/09/13 Sunderland (A)
  • 22/09/13 Stoke (H)

Tuesday 8 February 2011

Righteous Indignation

I've had a relapse of my horrible cold over the weekend so if there's any errors in this one I apologise. But my horrible mood over feeling ill wasn't imporved by the events of Saturday. I was going to go and watch the match at St James park originally but for a variety of reasons I didn't. I'm sort of glad I didn't now. While watching my team score four times would have been awesome, seeing them let in four and attempting to contain myself would not.
Now I know I'm emotionally invested because its my team out there but some of the decisions in that match were just ridiculous. First case in point: Diaby. I know you can't push people on a football pitch but his reaction if not defensible is at least understandable. Barton's challenge on him was reckless and Diaby has been seriously injured by something similar in the past so while he shouldn't lose his rag with scumbag Joey you can see why he did. Another thing, Newcastle defended Barton by saying that he got the ball with the challenge and caught the man with the follow through. Now lets rewind a few months to when Man City said the same thing about the challenge from Nigel de Jong that broke Hatem ben Arfa's leg. Newcastle weren't so sympathetic to that excuse then. They wanted him banned and sued and everything. So why should we accept that nonsense from them? Its double standards. Furthermore the ref indicated that Diaby's second shove on Nolan contributed to the sending off. The incident had nothing to do with Nolan. He came steaming in from somewhere else and got in Diaby's face. So he should have been booked as well, at least. Which brings me to one of the most inexplicable incidents of the game. After Newcastle scored their penalty (first time) the boy Chesney was getting the ball out of the net when Nolan again came running over and grabbed him round the neck and threw him to the floor. The referee's reaction? He books Chesney. Obviously this is galling because of the inconsistency of the ref completely ignoring a clear red card offence that he had no problem punishing our player for. Aside from that its just inexplicable. Why book the boy Chesney? there's no timewasting or provoking or anything, he was getting the ball out of his own net as it was OUR kick off. See how ridiculous that looks now?
Then there was the second penalty. And the free kick. The second penalty was nowhere near being a penalty kick. The newcastle player just fell down. With no assistance. The ref and lino were close enough so I don't understand how they didn't see the lack of contact between them somehow. Then the free kick that led to the last goal was a similar disgrace. Out of a challenge between Tomas Rosicky (hieghtening our sense of injustice) and Joey Barton there was apparently a foul on Barton. The first time I saw it on match of the Day, I didn't realise what was happening and I genuinely thought that Barton had fouled Tomas and the kick had gone the other way. When I learned otherwise, I was astounded.
Jack Wilshere is right the inconsistency in refeering is unbelievable. I was appalled by the blatant mistakes made on Saturday. It keeps happening and its unfair. Somebody somewhere needs to look into it, seriously. Its getting out of hand. I'm not just bitter because its my team, its affecting the outcome of games and it shouldn't. Now after all that moralising I need a rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment