Arsenal Fixtures 2013/2014

  • 17/08/13 Aston Villa (H)
  • 24/08/13 Fulham (A)
  • 01/09/13 Tottenham (H)
  • 14/09/13 Sunderland (A)
  • 22/09/13 Stoke (H)

Wednesday 8 August 2012

Olympic Spirit

I'm sure you're all aware that there's something big going on down in London and I'm sure you're also aware that I LOVE the Olympics. And its been brilliant so far. One of my favourite moments without a doubt was Oscar Pistorius competing in the 400m. It was truly inspirational, the man is an absolute hero. The more I see him, the more I like him. He showed us all that sometimes it isn't about winning a medal, its about something more important. Oscar taught us all that if you want something enough and if you try enough, nothing is impossible. I can't wait to see him in the relay. Another of my favourite inspirational athletes Caster Semenya went today in the 800m  heats and ran a very good, controlled race to qualify. I'll be cheering her on all the way as she's a fantastic to all the girls out there who've been through tough times and felt bad about themselves because of other people. I hope she wins to show them all that she's perfect the  way she is.
The artistic gymnastics competition were stellar. The British boys' historic medal in the team contest was marvellous and they all put in brilliant and brave performances. Kristian Thomas in particular was so cool and calm and really pulled through for the team. Then there was Kohei Uchimura in the individual all round. Wow. Just wow. Not only is he totally brilliant but he looks like he literally just stepped out of a manga. His vault was dazzling with unbelievable poise, accuracy and a pitch perfect landing. I enjoyed also Marcel Nguyen who I've not seen before but will definitely be looking out for from now on. And of course I enjoyed watching the ever fabulous Fabian Hambuchen getting back towards form.
I cheered for Tom Daley all the way through the diving and I was so heartbroken  for him that he just missed out on a medal. He worked so so hard and they did  a really good job. It was so tough on them that it was one dive that cost them their medal. I think though that his reaction afterwards and the grace and dignity with which he handled his disappointment says it all. Even if he didn't get a medal this time he's already a champion and the medals will come for him.
The athletics provided some fantastic olympic moments in particular Mo Farah's little girl running on to the track and hurling herself into his arms. And Felix Sanchez reclaiming his 400m hurdles title after eight years and brreaking  down completely overwhelmed on the podium sobbing his heart out. It was a beautiful moment of pure, unbridled emotion. I enjoyed also Robert Harting celebrating his discus win with his trademark shirt ripping and then some fabulous improvised hurdling on the running track.
I've managed to see quite of lot of Britain's team getting golds in rowing and cycling. Even a proper cynic like me enjoyed some of the wonderful performances and victory moments of the home team. The ladies double sculls was brilliant and the pursuit world records were massively impressive. So roll on the rest of the shocks, emotions, medals  and everything that London can throw at us


No comments:

Post a Comment