Arsenal Fixtures 2013/2014

  • 17/08/13 Aston Villa (H)
  • 24/08/13 Fulham (A)
  • 01/09/13 Tottenham (H)
  • 14/09/13 Sunderland (A)
  • 22/09/13 Stoke (H)

Friday 9 November 2012

Short and sweet in Shanghai

So the Grand Prix series continues apace in Shanghai. This week saw the season debuts of Brian Joubert, Daisuke Takahashi, Fabian Bourzat and Nathalie Pechalat and Yuko Kavaguti and Alexander Smirnov. An exciting field, I'm sure you'll all agree and the competition was not short on drama.

Once again (thank you Eurosport) I was unfortunatley prevented from seeing full coverage of all of the competitions, but I did manage to catch extensive highlights. I wasn't the only one who participation in the event was limited with Narumi Takahashi and Mervin Tran pulling out pre-event due to injury, Brian Joubert pulling out after the short program due to illness (so gutted) and Nan Song also pulling out after the short program after a collision with Adam Rippon in warm up gave him concussion (Get well soon.) Its a real shame that Brian and Nan Song had to pull out because both of them are very exciting skaters and although Brian was fairly low down after the short he did look better than he has in a little while and looked as if he was making progress. I know he still fell and stuff but to my eyes the dance bits of his his program seemed to have improved and had a little more confidence about them. I really liked Daisuke Takahashi's new 'rock'n'roll' short program, it was dynamic and full of energy and I look forward to seeing it develop. I think his free program didn't quite have the same impact but having said that his falls on the jumps did cost him some energy and edge. Tatsuki Machida did very very well and skateed to an impressive standard to win. I'm quite fond of his firebird program as its such a classic theme for figure skating and has a sort of retro effect to it. I only saw the short programs for the ice dance but I already love Fabian and Nathalie's super french can can masterpiece. It has such pace to it and they skate it with such panache it just a total joy to watch. I like Bobrova and Soloviev too, they're coming along very nicely. Their skating is maturing and their routines are looking more smooth and polished so I expect good stuff fromm them as the season moves on. Then in the pairs we had a fascinating contest between Pang and Tong and Kavaguti and Smirnov. Both pairs were outstanding but Pang and Tong edged it and as I predicted earlier their programs are progressing nicely. I love both of Yuko and Alexander's new programs, they always seem to come up with beautiful routines and I just love watching them together they have such a fantastic connection.
I'm patiently waiting for Cup of Russia and the explosion of fabulous that will be Johnny Weir's comeback. Russia can you handle this?

No comments:

Post a Comment