Arsenal Fixtures 2013/2014

  • 17/08/13 Aston Villa (H)
  • 24/08/13 Fulham (A)
  • 01/09/13 Tottenham (H)
  • 14/09/13 Sunderland (A)
  • 22/09/13 Stoke (H)

Thursday 26 January 2012

Football philosophy

http://www.football365.com/faves/7440104/What-s-More-Important-Fans-Or-Trophies-
I was reading the letters page on Football 365 the other day and came across two things that made me think. Firstly there was the Arsenal fan who claimed that for him trophies mattered more than fans or atmosphere, it was this little line about how he views his support for Arsenal that got me though "I see it as a desperate struggle to win every game we possibly can, because at the end of the season there might be something nice and shiny to boast about." I find that frankly despicable. And to be honest I would rather people like that didn't support my club. It's opinions like that that lead to all the impossible to please, buy a centre half, 'Wenger out' so called fans of  club freaking out every week at the slightest provocation. I just don't get it, if thatt's why you watch football then you aren't going to get any joy out of it. And if you're not getting any enjoyment out of it, what's the point? For me, that's the core of supporting not just a football team but football in general. Football for me is a passion, its demanding, its life-consuming, its a huge emotional attachment, it dictates my schedule (ask my friends, its true) and none  of these things would be true if I didn't love watching it. And no matter how many times I see my boys lose, no mattter how dispiriting it is, I'll still put all of my emotions and my heart back into it the next week. For me football is not trophies. Its more than that. I watch Arsenal because I love the game, I love to see football played properly and that's why I love the way they play it. I love the connection you build with your team, the investment into it. For me, its not trophies its that for those ninety minutes you're connected to your team and to the other fans of your team, you all want the same thing. Its that collective rush that is so special. That, to me, is the best reason to support football.

No comments:

Post a Comment