Arsenal Fixtures 2013/2014

  • 17/08/13 Aston Villa (H)
  • 24/08/13 Fulham (A)
  • 01/09/13 Tottenham (H)
  • 14/09/13 Sunderland (A)
  • 22/09/13 Stoke (H)

Sunday 1 January 2012

Some thoughts on the grand prix final

I had my two cents worth on Patrick Chan and the grand prix title a little while and I've finally managed to watch all the other stuff I tapped so now I'm going to have my two cents worth on the pairs and dance too. Let's start with the ice dance shall we.
So we all know by now that i'm a HUGE fan of Natalie Pechalat and Fabian Bourzat. I was thrilled for them that they got on the podium and took the bronze, ideally I would have liked them to be second and Tessa and Scotty first but hey ho. Which brings us handily to the tussle for first place. Now I do understand that Meryl Davis and Charlie White are very good, but I just can't see past  Tessa and Scotty. For me they should have won the gold hands down. Their choreography is just so beautiful, they make every single move look so easy and they just look flawless. And in my opinion they edge it on chemistry too, the connection between them is really lovely to watch. And in a similar vein, their routines, particularly their beautiful 'Funny face' medley, draw you in more and have a more romantic, tangible atmosphere. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying Charlie and Meryl aren't good, they are, I like him a lot but I just think Tessa and Scott create more of a special moment when they skate.
Now to the pairs. Once again, I have taken issue with the judges choice for gold medal. Again I have to declare my overwhelming love for the couple in third place and commend Yuko Kavaguti and the divine Alexander Smirnov for their magnificent performance in the long programme. The fight for gold was even closer in the pairs competition with Maxim Trankov and Tatiana V finished only 0.18 of a mark behind eventual winners Aliona Savchenko and Robin Solkowy. Which was just plain wrong. Beautiful Maxim himself looked bemused and (rather attractively) angry about the whole thing. Some of the crowd seemed equally annoyed, there was booing. On a side note I love it when figure skating crowds get riled and there's booing. Anyway.  I watched both routines twice and in my opinion technically they were both excellent and probably on the same level, the only minor technical issue on Maxim's routine was a very slight hitch at the end. BUT, choreographically speaking Maxim and Tatiana's routine was streets ahead in my opinion, certainly enough to overcome any minor issues. For me, the presentation and interpretation elements of Robin and Aliona's routine just aren't at the level we're used to from them. There just isn't enough choreography between the elements, it seems lacking in something whereas Maxim and Tatiana's every move fits the routine and the theme perfectly. Feel free to comment or tweet me if you also have some thoughts.......

No comments:

Post a Comment