Arsenal Fixtures 2013/2014

  • 17/08/13 Aston Villa (H)
  • 24/08/13 Fulham (A)
  • 01/09/13 Tottenham (H)
  • 14/09/13 Sunderland (A)
  • 22/09/13 Stoke (H)

Monday 30 April 2012

The England manager appointment

Normally I'm not really very interested in stuff to do with the England National Team. But I've had some thoughts on the (seemingly) imminent appointment of Uncle Roy Hodgson as England manager. Now don't get me wrong here, I like the man. I do. But I'm not sure its the right move. Not for England though, for him. I get the obvious he's English so he really wants to manage his national team thing but I think in the light of how his tenure at Liverpool turned out though its a slightly baffling move. Personally tto me it seems like the England situation he's walking into will be similar to the one he had to contend with at Liverpool only on a larger and more pressurised scale. I mean it was a situation where it was an institution with a lot of history that tends to focus heavily on the weight of the past (some times to a counter productive degree,) an atmosphere with a huge amount of expectation, difficult to please fans with another candidate in mind and players that he inherited rather than chose. Check, check, check and check. I just hope that the insane amount of media pressure he's going to get and the squad selection headaches that will no doubt come his way don't make for a high profile repeat of his stresses and strains at Liverpool because he seems like a lovely man who genuinely loves football and knows his stuff. Having made the case against his taking the job, I would like to just add to that that I do think he's a better option than Redknapp though. Largely due to his experience with managing abroad and at international level. I know that there are loads of you who could cite tons of managers who have won things without much experience but I think you can't undervalue the amount of experience someone like Hodgson has. Fianlly to finish off, I'd like to share with you the popular opinion here at HQ on the alternative candidate we would have liked the FA to give a chance to. The Sports Wall family (particularly my mum) think that Roy Keane would have been a brilliant left field choice for the post. I know I just said experience can't be underrated BUT hear us out here. We think he'd be good as the England manager becuase of his unbelievable intensity and let's face it there's no way he'd take any crap from those players. Maybe he'd finally be able to instill a bit of discipline in the ranks. Plus he's not short of passion. The guy radiates passion for football. Which frankly the England set up could do with. So there you go, the man to restore a bit of blood and thunder to the Three Lions, is the other Roy.

No comments:

Post a Comment