Arsenal Fixtures 2013/2014

  • 17/08/13 Aston Villa (H)
  • 24/08/13 Fulham (A)
  • 01/09/13 Tottenham (H)
  • 14/09/13 Sunderland (A)
  • 22/09/13 Stoke (H)

Thursday 26 May 2011

F for fabulous at the French

One of my favourite sporting events has come round again this week. Its time for the red clay of Roland Garros and that means one thing; the French open. I think I had forgotten (only slightly) how much I actually enjoy watching tennis. Its beenn  a cracking tournament so far. The first match I watched was Roger Federer's opener against  Feliciano Lopez. If you've seen any of this blog before you'll know that this was entirely because of Flic Lopez and literally nothing to do with Roger. Flic is an absolute aesthetic dream, he has a beautiful, graceful languid quality to his movements. He brings out the 'Death in Venice' in me he really does- I read the book recently and adored it, I totally identify with so much in thhat noveel. Anyway, point is he's a wonderful player to watch. Unfortunatley he didn't win but that doesn't mean I  didn't enjoy it. I always enjoy watching hima nd cheering him on whatever the result. For some reason I feel the need to be a lot more vocal when watching Feliciano and I yell at the TV during near enough every point in his matches. Luckily HQ was empty yesterday so I didn't look like a total loon. I also watched Rafael Nadal's first round match which was a lot closer and more worrying than  I'm used to from him. As we speak I'm watching his second round match which the eurosport commentator (male) has pronounced 'F for fabulous.' I have to agree. There's been some breathtaking shots from both him and his opponent, particularly at the net and this third set is turning into a hell of a contest. I caught two of my favouritte players in action briefly too; firstly Gael 'Baby G' Monfils. I love his all action, mission impossible style of tennis and how wonderfully expressive he can be (those eyes!) Secondly David Ferrer. I love the sheer energy this man has, I love how he prowls on the baseline like a sexy Spanish lion and I love his fiery temperament. And you know, he's a real hard-working professional. Ahem.
It hasn't all been boy-watching. Unusually for me, I tuned in to the women's competition too and watched Kim Clijsters. I like Kim. I have a lot of respect for her and she seems a classy lady. Unfortunatley she lost today. Oh well back to the boys then.

No comments:

Post a Comment